This week was difficult. I had some health issues that kept me in bed and I was too weak
to do anything. I finally got better in time to complete this assignment in the knick of time. I used two images I photographed for a previous class: a beautiful, brilliant dragonfly down by the lake (feature image above) and my mother’s vase from Germany.
My main challenge was time. I simply did not have time to do a great and thorough job of the background. And if I were to change something, it would be to mute the background colors dramatically, so that the vase and dragonfly had center-stage.
I think a lot of people are shy about harsh highlights and dramatic shadows. This timidity is a hindrance to creating a crisp and high-contrast piece. Note that I used pure black and pure white (even whiter than the paper, using a gel pen). Another vital step is to take the liberty, even if you don’t see it on your live object, to demonstrate a varied range of tones and hues within each color. For example, the blue on both subjects ranges from a purple black to a light aqua and everything in-between. I layer these, rather than placing them separately on different areas, because is creates a more dynamic and constant gradient.
Here is the finished product: